- Mattresses, or revet mattresses, are gabion type structures manufactured from 6 x 8 double twist mesh with more planar area and relatively small in thickness.Gabion Mattresses are used for river bank and scour protection, channel linings for erosion control, and embankment stability. They are filled with rock at the project site to form flexible, permeable, monolithic structures to promote rapid growth of natural vegetation.
- The blending of Gabion Mattress structures into the environment is rapid and pleasing. The voids in the rock fill become progressively filled with silt, promoting vegetation growth which is essential to the preservation and maintenance of the ecological balance of the surrounding environment.
All the physical and mechanical properties meet or exceed the requirements of ASTM A975.
- Built using standard construction equipment. Structures can be built in stages, if necessary, and baskets can be prefilled and launched to enable underwater installation.
- The base section of the Gabion Mattress is divided into compartments and filled with stones at the project site. With lids secured, M attresses form flexible, permeable, monolithic structures.
- The woven mesh system has the capability of withstanding unexpected and/or localized stresses due to ground settlements and scour by deflection while maintaining its structural integrity. The stone fill allows the water to seep through the structure while retaining the soil; therefore, no additional drainage is required to relieve the hydrostatic pressures.
Advantages and distinctions of Gabion Mattresses:
A mattress shaped version of the gabion used mainly for erosion control when the retaining properties of box gabions are not required
Free drainage and 30-35% voids allow vegetation to grow
Their strength lies in their double twisted hexagonal steel wire mesh which is reinforced by selvedges of heavier wire running along the edges
The base section is divided into compartments to restrict the movement of stone and strengthen the structure
The lid is supplied as a separate panel